The History of Granger Christian School
Grace Baptist Church of South Bend was founded by members of Calvary Baptist Church of South Bend in 1955 with the official sanction and approval of that church. The founding group of 25 people called Rev. Dale Meade, an assistant pastor of Calvary Baptist Church, to be its pastor in 1956 and purchased property in the northern portion of the Roseland section of South Bend. A small church building was erected on the property, and services were begun. In 1960 a second building was built on the Roseland property, and was subsequently added to on two occasions. During this time, the church experienced significant growth and filled the facility.
After Pastor Meade was called to another church in 1969, Dr. Charles Davis became pastor. During his ministry, a large gymnasium/classroom addition was added to the second structure. Grace Baptist School was then founded in 1972 as an elementary and junior high school ministry of the church. Over the next two years, the high school grades were added. As the church continued to grow, the congregation began using the gym for church services, and the former auditorium was turned into a chapel.
In 1976, church leadership again changed as Dr. Davis moved to a position at Maranatha Baptist Bible College, and Dr. Charles R. Wood assumed the pastorate. After achieving debt-free status in 1987, the church decided to purchase a 30-acre tract of land at the corner of Brick and Gumwood Roads in Granger. The church overwhelmingly decided to build new facilities and to relocate to the Granger location. From 1992 until 1996, the church operated at two locations, with the school and offices located in Roseland and worship and other services conducted in Granger. When the Roseland property was sold in 1996, part of the school ministry was relocated to the Granger location, and the remainder used facilities rented from Twin City Baptist Church of Mishawaka.
Rev. Rick Wood assumed the pastorate in 1998, after Dr. Charles Wood retired. Among the many changes in operation of the ministry at that time was a name change for the school, going from Grace Baptist Schools to Granger Christian Schools. This new name reflected a change in philosophy from a school provided for the parents of the membership of the Church to a school designed with the needs of the entire community in mind. It was during Pastor Rick’s tenure that the congregation voted to build the current school building in 2002.
Striving to be the premier 21st century school in the Midwest, Granger Christian School prepares students to impact the world through a Christ-centered education. As a pre-k through 12th grade college preparatory school, we are equipping students for higher education and a higher calling.
We're Christ-centered, academically minded, relationally focused and excellence-driven.
Knowledge is a powerful tool when it is put into service for the work of God. Our school is designed to teach students about the world we live in, so we can better serve the One who created it.
GCS students participate in rigorous academic programs designed to meet and exceed state standards.
Granger Christian School partners with families to reinforce the values we share, bolstering the relationships between parents, students and educators.
We believe God has called us to excellence in our pursuit of Him as well as our pursuit of knowledge.